Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stevie



Stevie may very well be the next Bob Dylan as proven by his recent participation in the American Idol styled contest at Davis and Elkins College. He finished a strong third out of three (3) and took the bronze. He impressed the judges with his swagger and foul mouthed banter. He was forced to concede victory to a Backstreet Boys themed vocal ensemble and a female singer in the mode of Alicia Keys. He's still wearing the shiner and fat lip he received from (Nick Carter look-a-like?) after a rather slanderous remark was made about "Helpless when She Smiles". Thank goodness Nick (who's helpless now, mother$%^er?) didn't hurt his hands because we enjoy our time with Stevie. Besides playing in the shop, Stevie has a full day; a run with me, self-defense lessons from Gary, and a chilled bottle of champagne all require his attention.

No matter his obligations, Stevie gets the gig going first, he donned his orange cap (stolen from a drunken hunter), slung his axe (paid through collecting cans and bottles for two summers) across his shoulder, fastened that harmonic-holding neck brace thing, and got to the jam. Stevie always attracts odd audiences; I never knew there were so many meth-addicts and homeless in our area, but Stevie opened my eyes, thanks Stevie. I really should retract that, instead I'll just apologize to the boaters in our community, I had no idea! Thanks to Curtis for setting me straight, if I had known they were your friends I never (well, maybe not) have written that.

Quick plug: Curtis wants to hold cooking classes here. Details will follow soon. Since I'm writing about upcoming events, look for us at the Cheat River Festival. Chris will man the tent, and hopefully not be too influenced by those degenerate boaters. We will be sending Coffee and Bagels to the Festival, so if you are there look for the HypnoTent in the red morning light. Yes, I will remind you prior to the Festival, and post the traveling menu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once ran into him out west, rambling about some problem he had. Said words could only touch around real things but shared his Makers with me nonetheless. He looked ruff and evidentially had been camped out near a local river outside of Jackson; dirty as a sinner and polite as a saint. I asked him to play a Cash song and he said that he only sings about Johnny, not his songs, must have been 20 or 30 people standing round him; all smiling and moving to his random words. Sounded like he made the whole thing up and did a damn good job of it, said “a useless word can have as much meaning as a single note if you say it right”. He was going by the Steven Rivers when I ran into him, wearing nothing but a pair of wrangler jeans and hat and I never did see his eyes because he kept them hid. He said something about it raining when a lady mentioned the weather but it was sunny out and then he just disappeared, even left his tip money on the ground which some bum collected. He mentioned something about him being from around Thomas WV so I searched around till I found him; I knew he’d be playing music if he was around. Hope to see you back west soon Mr. Rivers and you can call me Bob.

-Bob