Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

As 2011 was winding down, I took a long hard look at hypnocoffee. Production for wholesale orders had me lashed to the roaster at least five (5) days a week and when the Shepherdstown coffee bar moved into the roastery it picked up steam steadily and demanded attention. My web store, too, was suffering from my absence. It just wasn't (isn't) feasible to hire someone else...something had to give.

For good or ill I decided to jettison almost every one of my wholesale customers. One (1) of the toughest aspects was ending ties to the original hypnocoffee in Davis, but supporting two (2) shops with my five (5) kilo roaster was lugubrious to say the least. My decision was based in the creation of potential for hypnocoffee to better serve our internet and in-shop customers. I knew what to expect staying the course of the last four (4) years, and wasn't satisfied with the outcome. Roasting only for myself and my hometown allows more creative input from me, more time for my in-store customers (to include espresso classes, home-brewing classes, and public cuppings), a better presence on the Internet, and I can finally pursue some ideas and changes that have been rattling around but time didn't permit their implementation.

I'm not one to dwell on decisions too much, I make 'em and move forward. I look forward to better serving my Shepherdstown patrons and focusing on growing our customer-direct business. Like it or not, denizens around these parts will get more face-time with the hypnocoffee roaster.

Here's to a productive 2012...our fifth (5th) year as hypnocoffee...bottom's up!

No comments: