Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Meet The Press

I am always cautious when it comes to the press. Interviewers seem to hear things I don't even think, or things I think I don't even say. Whatever, you know the routine. When I was called by Specialty Coffee Retailer magazine and asked for a phone interview, I cautiously submitted. Now, what will make it in print? The article's focus will be devices that have made life/work easier for our baristas and myself. This isn't as easy as it may seem since we don't run our shop like most others. We brew per cup per customer and only employ hand-brew methods. Thus, my answer was "scales". Our scales measure both mass (grams) and volume (fl. oz.) and they keep our drinks consistent even when I make them. Our Fetco HWB10 is also extremely useful and kicks ass day in, day out, simply providing 205 degree water. Sounds easy, but long-time patrons remember waiting for the water to boil, and what a drag that was!

I was also asked a little about our town, to which I replied "is an anomaly in West Virginia...and Maryland...and Virginia" and I can't wait to see how that works out. We spoke a bit about the University before the topic, thankfully, reverted back to hand-brew. Hand-brew in a shop setting is rare, but I explained that we employ this method as a way to illustrate how anyone can make great tasting coffee at home...and we are too cheap to buy overpriced coffee brewers.

Lastly he asked for a high-resolution picture of the shop, which of course, isn't easy because I'm not sure what that means and photographing a space as small as ours ain't easy either. Regardless, stay tuned for the February print copy.

http://www.specialty-coffee.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=464620AE3F20454894C8CB7CEF72A481

No comments: